Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the legs

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have painful swelling on the right side of my leg just below my knee. it is worse after sitting, best after soaking in a hot tub. the pain is constant; doesn't seem worse when walking. I've had this for about 10 days with little relief. i have been taking aspirin and using topical rub for muscle aches.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be infrapatellar bursa

Detailed Answer:
Hi , I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic surgeon.
You have painful swelling just below your knee on the right side of your leg, and causes XXXXXXX pain while sitting.
In my opinion it is likely to be a bursa- Infrapatellar bursa at this site which becomes more painful on stretching( as in sitting).
Take pain killers, do hot fomentation twice daily and use topical rub . If there is no relief in 10 days ,or it becomes red / more painful then please consult an orthopedic surgeon for proper examination for diagnosis and treatment.
Thanks for the question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng