Suggest treatment for osteomylitis

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Had bone scan have been diagnosed with osteomylitis in my right foot. Has been infected for quite some time. After 4 rounds of antibiotics it keeps coming back. Have been told I would need to get a port and go through 4-6 weeks of intravenous antibiotics but they cant get me in to a specialist in a week. I have read that it is important to a dress this as quickly as possible. Am I putting myself at risk by waiting? Would I be better off going to the hospital?
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should get regular dressing

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your case and I can understand your situation as osteomyellitis is difficult problem to treat. If you are having pus or any discharge is coming out of your foot then I would suggest you to get regular dressings. If wound is healed and dry then dressing can wait for a week. Oral antibiotics are not sufficient but ok for six to seven days.

You have not mentioned if you are a Diabetic, but if you are then danger is little high. I would recommend you to visit hospital as soon as possible.

I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any other questions.
Thanks.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for osteomylitis 15 minutes later
I am not diabetic. Foot is under control as far as outward signs. Have been on oral antibiotics for 4 weeks. Just concerned more with long term affects on bone and tissue. Could see infectious disease doctor Tuesday. Will 2 more days make a difference.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No there is no harm in 2 days

Detailed Answer:

It is good that you are not diabetic. If your wound is not hot and warm and there is no active sign of pus then 2 to 3 days are not going to make any harm to you. Just continue your antibiotics.

Please write a review.

Wish you a fast recovery.

Thanks.