Suggest treatment for numbness in feet

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have numbness in both feet that is noticeable only when I lie down to go to sleep. It is focused primarily right at the base of my foot ( both right and left with good symethery ) directly behind toes. Movement does not curtail or decrease this sensation. This is not pain and eventually I do fall asleep. This can persist and continue to present itself even in the morning when I am awake. I have no related sensation in my hands.Once I am up and active I lose awareness that this sensation exists. I am 69 years old and was an active squash player for a significant part of my life and developed obvious calf muscles. I wonder if there could be a circulation problem to my feet because of aging and changes in my blood vessels. I have no elevation in blood pressure ( usually 140 over 75 or so ) Because I have been up now for 40 minutes the sensation in my feet is losing its intensity as I am sitting and my legs are vertical. I have had regular blood work and there has not been evidence of diabetes. I believe that I suffer from more fatigue than would be normal for my age.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral neuropathy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Symptoms you describe are most likely to be related to peripheral neuropathy, a condition where peripheral nerves are damaged gradually by several possible causes.

Previously damaged nerves are more susceptible to blood pressure changes, that's why you notice the symptoms more when you lay down.

Besides diabetes, peripheral neuropathy can be caused by excessive alchohol consumption, nutritional deficiencies of group B vitamins, nerves compression and trauma, drugs side effects, and other diseases such kidney, liver and thyroid dysfunction.

There is need first for nerve conduction study and EMG of your lower extremities, and blood tests about above mentioned conditions.

Doppler ultrasound of low extremities vessels also could help assessing blood flow changes.

Treatment depends on the cause and symptomatic drugs such Gabapentin, Amytriptiline, local cream application of capsaicin etc.

These issues should be discussed with your primary care Doctor.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad