Suggest treatment for nose bleeding

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello Doctor, a couple of days ago I had a nosebleed where the blood was kind of coming out in large drops from my left nostril. I was able to stop it after a few minutes by putting some gauze in there and it has not reoccurred. However yesterday I was looking up that nostril and noticed a hard white narrow lump about 1/2" to 1" long. It's on the septum side and looks kind of like a bone. Also, in the past 3 months I've had intermittent pain in my upper back teeth on that side. It's kind of a dull ache. It usually lasts for a couple of hours and then goes away. I've had X-rays done on my teeth in the last year and my dentist did not notice anything unusual. Any information you can provide would be most helpful. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nasal examination, endoscopy, CT.cautery or DNS correction.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Epistaxis (bleeding from the nose) should always be investigated.

2. Get a nasal examination, endoscopy, CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) and a Coagulogram done. Your blood pressure must be checked.

3 The bony growth that you are seeing may be a DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum). Minor bleeds are usually observed. Major bleeds are packed, cauterized or the DNS is corrected if the edge if a sharp spur is bleeding. The mass in the nose must be examined and the diagnosis confirmed.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj