Suggest treatment for nerve pain in the leg post knee replacement

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Constant nerve pain suring and since total Right knee replacement 3 yrs ago?. No blood clots, no diabeties. Any suggestions ??, driving me up the wall, too much walking and foot swells?.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult a neurologist, get a MRI done

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Constant pain in legs after knee replacement can be due to the compression or damage to the nerves during the knee replacement.
Swelling of the foot can be due damage to the lymphatics and lymph nodes during the procedure.
I will suggest you to get a MRI of the right knee so that the assessment of the nerves and lymphatic channels can be made. Moreover,you should also go for physiotherapy to improve the pain.
You should consult a neurologist for proper examination, investigations and treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 21 hours later
Have been to physio no good, pain is constant and burning,like fire foot still swells if I walk too much.
Thank you for your interest.
Yours Sincerely. XXXXXXX XXXX. Australia.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised and get investigated as already advised

Detailed Answer:

You should try Pregabalin or Amitryptiline or Gabapentin for neuropathic pain in lower limbs.
You need to get investigated for edema in foot by a physician.

Please get investigated as already advised.

Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee