Suggest treatment for nausea and vomiting in a 68 year old?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Accident and Emergency
Question: 68 year old male,presents to ER with vomiting, doesn't complain of any pain and is a diabetic. I'm just finding out that my uncle hasn't eaten anything g but has taken morning meds.Nurse just performed a ekg abd it looks good. Patient still complains of nausea.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be gastritis.

Detailed Answer:

The nausea and vomiting that your uncle is having can be related to gastritis. If EKG and blood glucose levels are normal then there is no need to worry. This will subside with the help of anti emetic medicines and H2 blockers like Ranitidine. The nausea will gradually subside in next few hours. Please do not worry.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Just recieved test results,EKG GOOD...BLOOD WORK GOOD...CHEST X-RAY GOOD.Doc says that he may keep him overnight fir observation.i didn't mention that a few weeks ago he was doing some reminding and the tip of the hammer broke off and stuck directly in his chest.He had to have minor surgery to remove the metal piece.Theres no infection and the wound is healing perfectly. Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is good that all his blood work has come normal. The nausea is likely to be due to gastritis only. Avoiding hot and spicy food will help avoiding such episodes in future.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T