Suggest treatment for mild depression and anxiety

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hello

please help. i started to take 5 htp due to its ability to increase seratonin levels for mild depression and anxiety instead of taking ssri prescribed by my doctor. It did help a bit but made me feel buzzed and spaced out and gave me ringing in my ears. it didnt help with my sleep either. i would like to know if taking melatonin for sleep would increase levels of seratonin and cause my tinnitus to increase?

thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Melatonin is a pineal gland product involved in regulation of sleep cycle. It is helpful in insomnia and jet lag.

It doesn't affect serotonin levels nor does it increase tinnitus.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks