How can newborns sleep better at night?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: how to help a two month old sleep better at night right now she sleeps no longer then 30 mins to an hour and a half or so at a time
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's normal for this age

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Most of the babies sleep during day time and wake up during night and it us quite common for this age.
In mother's womb during fetal life baby sleep during day time as there is rocking movement inside while mother awakes,while they wake up during night when mother sleeps. This pattern continues during initial few months of life.
Sleep pattern also depends upon the melatonin hormone and the gland which secreats this, matures by the age of 4-6 months.
Other reason is that the stomach capacity of baby at this age is very less. So baby awakes frequently for feeds.
Baby in this age passes more frequent urine and they gets awake due to wet nappy.
Frequent feed, changing of wet/soiled nappy helps in better sleep.
Once baby grows the sleep cycle gets normal.
I won't get worried if baby is otherwise active, accepting feeds well and growing adequately.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad