Suggest treatment for lumps on the ankles

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have lumps that came up on the backs of my ankles, they hurt and if I wear flats or go barefoot I can barely walk. What is this?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Haglund's heel

Detailed Answer:
Sometimes there is a spur or enlargement of the bone at the back of the heel. This may be the lumps that you are feeling. Then around this enlargement because of shoe pressure you can get an achilles tendonitis.
There are many ways of treating this with heel pads in your shoes, stretching, wearing shoes with soft backs and icing. Anti-inflammatory medications may also help. Sometimes foot doctors (orthopedists or podiatrists) can do steroid injections into this area to reduce inflammation. In rare cases a surgery may be needed to correct the situation.
If you have not seen a foot specialist, it may be a good idea to see one.
This is often called Hanglund's heel or Haglund's deformity and here is a site where you can read more about it.
http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/haglunds-deformity.htm
Regards, Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Thank you for the advice and info. Would this be the reason for burning and aching and the swelling of my ankles too?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
not the swelling

Detailed Answer:
It can cause burning and aching, but would not cause the swelling. Ankle swelling can have many causes from the simple like eating too much salt to the serious and complicated like heart or kidney disease. Please see your doctor and let him/her know about your swollen ankles. They can do tests to determine the cause. In the meantime, try to make sure you are eating very little salt and make sure you are exercising your legs. Reducing salt means adding no salt to your food and avoiding fast food, processed foods and canned foods.
Exercise, like walking, helps the venous return from your legs and can reduce swelling. Propping up your legs when they are swollen may also help.
Good luck to you,
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson