Suggest treatment for lump under ear on jaw line

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 27 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Small moveable lump under my ear on jaw line and painful burning ear all on the same side. Dr's said it was my TMJ causing it and there was really nothing they could do. I am so tired of my ear hurting and would love some relief. I also can't keep my hands off the little lump, I'm constantly moving it around :-/.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be lymph node enlargement.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.

In my opinion, you might be having enlarged lymph node just below the ear.
This occurs of any viral infection, recent upper respiratory tract infection, ear infection etc.
Since you have burning sensation and pain in the ear, you might be having ear infection.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have prescribed anti inflammatory medicines like paracetamol + diclofenac combination drugs twice daily for 3 days. If symptoms persists, then please consult with your doctor and get evaluated.

Hope my answers have helped you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Its been like this for about 8 weeks. Ive been back to the dr and they still say nothing to worry about and that it can take months for the lymph node to go back down? They also say my ears look fine. My jaws to pop constantly so i know i have tmj, but could that really be causing all of this?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait and watch.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
Yes, you can wait and watch for the lymph node to reduce in size. Any TMJ abnormalities will cause ear pain. Consult with the dentist for TMJ. Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.