Suggest treatment for lump on the buttocks

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, at the base of my spine the bone sticks out like a lump right above my buttocks. It's been there a couple years, but the last 2 months it aches horrible. I feel pressure and my legs and feet have been going numb sporadically. I'm fatigued all the time and I've been having hot flashes at night. When I move it hurts and sore to the touch.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to have MRI spine and orthopedician review

Detailed Answer:
i! Welcome to health care magic.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems essential to assess the type and contents of swelling. If it is bony in orgin, a skeletal deformity like this may need to be evaluated further by an orthopedician. The symptoms also seem to be related to nerves compression which supply the lower limbs. For that Xrays and MRI lumbar spine may be needed. Since it is tender to touch, and ultrasound of the swelling may also be advised to rule out soft tissue growth, lipoma or inflammation.

The hot flushes and fatigue can be related to prolong pain and restlessness or can be a different entity. In any case blood screenings for electrolytes including calcium, phosphate, alkaline phosphatase, thyroid levels and ESR may be needed.

Meanwhile you can use anti inflammatory drugs like acetaminophen or ibuprofen alongwith muscle relaxants like orphenidrine or tizanidine but in any case, an orthopedician review at the earliest is advisable to consider for surgical options.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you dont have any more questions, please close the discussion. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina