Suggest treatment for lump in the throat

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 15 May 2017 in Lump
Question: I'm a 49 yr old female, good health, I smoked for 17 years, but quit five years ago. I saw my GP in November and everything was fine - I recently had a teeth cleaning and my hygienist noticed a lump in my throat. Once she pointed it out, I can really see it, "grab it", and its painful. I have no other symptoms. I've been worried sick ever since and am not able to get in to see my doc for another ten days. I had squamous cell skin cancer in its very early stages removed about 7 years ago, with no recurrence. I'm terrified I have cancer in my lymph nodes - given the information I've provided, can you tell me the likelihood of that?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not likely to be a cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, I can understand your concerns very well.
To recapitulate: Female/49 - quit smoking 5 years after smoking for 17 years - hygienist noted a lump in the throat/neck - tender - no other lumps - can see Doctor after 10 days - h/o skin cancer operated 7 years ago ....
Lymph node due to cancer are not painful or tender.
There is no oral lesion as this might have been noticed by your hygienist and told you so.
Small enough as it can not be seen but can be grabbed.
All these things go against being due to cancer.
So relax till seen by your Doctor for clinical evaluation, examination and get the ultrasound and FNAC if needed.
Skin cancer does not give lymph nodes in neck.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.