Suggest treatment for lump in the breast

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: i have a bulge under my right breast, it seems to be getting larger. not painful to touch, but very painful inside an uncomfortable when sitting. started as a pain and i thought it was my ribs, but seems to be getting worst. only really stops hurting when i stand. could not sleep last night it was so acute.. i am 71 yrs old if that helps.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably costochondritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Top recapitulate: Female/71 - bulge under right breast - seems to be getting larger - not tender but painful from within - stops hurting on standing - uncomfortable when sitting - so acute that you could not sleep last night - - taking lemon water and Advil (Ibuprofen) for pain ...
As per the history you have given this looks to be costochondritis affecting the costal area of the rib as the commonest reason.
Another possibility can be a cyst or so getting infected.
I would advise you the following:
Please continue taking Advil every 8 hours.
Warm fomentation with cotton cloth.
Rubefacient liniment which gives warmth.
If required, strapping the affected part of the chest gives rest to the part and early recovery.
Please consult your Doctor to get a clinical evaluation, examination and discuss these points hence possible to get the exact diagnosis, get additional medications which may help you further:
Oral Steroids being the strongest anti-inflammatory gives best results provided you do not have diabetes and once costochondritis is confirmed.
Ultrasonography is required in doubtful cases to rule out cyst or such problems.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

With Regard.