Suggest treatment for lower back and abdominal pain

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Back Pain
Question: Every couple of months I get lower back pain which is a dull ache in the lower back that hurts more when I take a deep breath. I can also feel it in my abdomen. It came back 2 weeks ago for a few days and now I have it again this morning. Walking is more comfortable than sitting.

The pain in my back is gone but now I have abdomen cramping which hurts when I lay down and twist around. I am slo getting intermittent spasms
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
More details required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query and understand your concerns. There are two components in your problem - your back pain and your abdominal spasms. The low back pain is likely to be associated with spasm of back muscles and hot compress should provide relief. In case it recurs you should see a physical therapist who could demonstrate the exercises that would help in easing your situation. Regarding your abdominal discomfort, I would need more information. I need to know whether it has been associated with taking food and if there are specific aggravating or relieving factors. I would also need to know the exact location of the spasms or cramping and whether it seems to be superficial or deep inside.

I will await your response.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 minutes later
The abdomen pain was right in the center of my abdomen. The abdomen pain came after the back pain. When I would lay down it would kind of hurts to lay down, when I would twist it aggravated the pain. The pain now isn't completely gone but it does feel better I applied ice to my abdomen. As best as I can tell it feels like it's on the surface.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to GERD

Detailed Answer:
​Thanks for clarifying. Your abdominal discomfort seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux.

​​In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fibre intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 minutes later
So you don't feel the back pain and the abdominsl pain are related?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
No, I do not find a correlation between the two.