Suggest treatment for low grade fever, headache, vomiting and diarrhea

Posted on Wed, 4 Feb 2015 in Infections
Question: I've been sick for about a month and have been told it's a virus and just have to tough it out. Symptoms: low grade fever, upper respiratory, headache, vomiting, diarrheah. I've been to the hospital twice and been told the same thing, "virus". Question: should it last this long, or should I be doing something besides rest and fluids to treat it? Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Devendra Kumar Tripathi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meticulous search for the cause of this is required.

Detailed Answer:
Superimposed or recurrent infections are a possibility

I would like to inform you that most of viral infections are self resolving and normally subside in a week or two.

A viral upper respiratory tract infection would commonly present with sore throats, a cough ,fever , oss of appetite ,fatigue and some times even diarrhea and vomiting.

There is no medicine for that. We treat support the bodies immune system and treat the symptoms as they come. The key is to prevent dehydration and electrolyte imbalances in the blood.

One problem with a viral infection is that, while the immune system is busy mounting an effective response to the virus, other 'opportunistic' bacteria will take advantages of the weakened state and create a secondary infection. This is one possibility that may explain your situation.

To see if this is true, a complete work up is necessary.

Given your age, Urinary Tract Infections and Lung infections are statistically more likely. To look into these, you would need a routine Urine test and Blood work as well as an X-ray of the chest.

In my opinion, you should record your temperature for the next few days at least 3 times a day. Next you should consult with your Primary Physician and discuss the possibility of getting these tests done.

Hope this will help you . If you have any other concerns please feel free to message me . Thanks for contacting HCM .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Devendra Kumar Tripathi