Suggest treatment for low fever and bad cough during pregnancy

Posted on Wed, 4 Mar 2015 in General Health
Question: I am 20 wks pregnant. I have a low fever and a bad cough. should I be worried? is the baby ok? are there any things or precautions I should take?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
visit your gynecologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, I understand your anxiety related to the issue.
You should visit your gynecologist and get a prescription of antibiotic and cough syrup which is not over the counter medicine now a days.
It will not directly harm the baby but in case fever increases it can lead to preterm labor pains.
Also drink ample amounts of water and take good bed rest.
All the best.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 7 hours later
A ready med doctor gave me tamiflu but I've Been researching it and people are saying mixed things about it.
What do you think about taking tamiflu during pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get a blood test H1N1 done

Detailed Answer:
Benefits of tamiflu outweigh the risks but why to take the risk when there is no need as yet.
If very much suspected of swine flu then get blood test H1N1 done which if negative then no need to take tamiflu at all.

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN