• question-icon

Suggest treatment for liver cancer

Posted on Tue, 4 Nov 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My father diganose cancer i wang to know it is treat able he ia 55 year old and in pakistan

8 mm, pre & post contrast, axial images through chest from thoracic inlet up to abdomen on mediastinal & lung parenchymal technique are submitted.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not treatable but progress can be slowed down

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
In the past I have seen many patients having the problems like your father as mentioned in the query. I hope the cancer is confirmed by biopsy tests.

In uncomplicated disease, liver cancer is treated with partial liver removal surgery, ablation and liver transplantation. The tumour of liver in your father is large and at an advanced stage. This is because the report mentions that the tumour is extending into the portal vein and thrombus is noted. In this situation the patient condition is delicate and survival is difficult for more than 5 months in most patients unless effective treatment is administered.

There is a procedure called transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) by which the patient might survive till two years after detection in the best outcomes. This will decrease the blood supply to the tumour and slow the progression of disease. However the outcome with this treatment also varies with overall survival of 30 percent at 12 months to 9 percent at 24 months.

I have tried to give a very brief answer to your query. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 7 hours later
So what the treatmenr now for my farher?
And is it he have only 5 months no thing else
What we should to do?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggested focused treatment after assessment

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

I know it is a difficult situation you are facing and please do not give up hope on your father's treatment. The 5 months mentioned is an average in the most complicated cases of liver cancer and this can be more (upto 2 years) in some patients.

The treatment of liver cancer includes the following.
1. Surgery to remove a portion of the liver.
2. Liver transplant surgery.
3. Freezing cancer cells or Cryoablation.
4. Heating cancer cells in a procedure called radiofrequency ablation
5. Injecting alcohol into the tumor
6. Injecting chemotherapy drugs into the liver also known as chemoembolization
7. Radiation therapy
8. Targeted drug therapy

I suggest you consult the oncosurgeon (specialist in cancer surgery) doctor at a specialist cancer hospital in your country and first confirm diagnosis and and know the treatment options available.

Giving the right treatment after complete assessment of his condition can extend his life for more than few months.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 6 hours later
Doctors suggest him sornaib onclogigest and aaya there is no more treatment of this diseasz nothing

So just confirm me is sornaib is effective and stoo his diseses frim soreading and also he can live long life
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soranib can extend life by few more (3 - 6) months

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

Soranib (Sorafenib) is used to treat cancer occuring in the kidneys (renal cell carcinoma) or liver (hepatocellular carcinoma). It works by inhibiting the action of the enzymes that tell the cancer cells to grow and multiply, while also stopping blood vessels from growing within the tumor, thereby preventing the cancer from growing.

Research shows that taking Soranib increases the overall survival of patients by 3 months at least. This depends on the disease condition at the time of detection.

To be honest with you, it will be great if this medicine slows down the tumour growth by 6 months to a year.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist