Suggest treatment for lingual tonsillitis

Posted on Tue, 5 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I have had a bad cold and flu but feeling much better except the back of my tongue hurts. I have had a really bad cough but has calmed down for the past few days. Could my cough have caused my tongue to be sore
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and I understand your concern. These are the common sequelae of a common cold followed by a post nasal drip then an irritant cough and then and bad throat. Just take some herbal tea with honey and boiled egg. Aspirin gargles and garlic water mouth rinses. Drink plenty of fluids and wait and see. It shall resolve in no time.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Regards XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 6 minutes later
So my tongue could be sore from my coughing and is there anything I can do to make my tongue stop hurting. I have one very small puss pocket on my throat will warm salt water help that to go away?
Hi I asked the question above as a follow up question and have not received a reply
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
lingual tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Lo doubt the tongue hurting is the sequelae of post nasal dripping. Tonsils at the base of the tongue get inflamed and give such presentation. Aspirin gargles and hot beverages like coffee and herbal teas and other home remedies will help. You may take short dose of corticosteroids orally or apply oral gels over the tongue for the relief. You may also do gargles of lignocaine solution.

I hope it helps.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan