What causes slight pain at the back of mouth and lingual tonsillitis?

Posted on Mon, 27 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,

I always feel a little pain at the back of my mouth,towards the left,which makes me feel as if my tongue is paining,I went to an ENT specialist and he inserted a camera from my nose till the end to check whats there,but there was nothing he could found ,Also lately i have seen blood in mucus from my left nostril,and its there every time i clean it in morning.These symptoms are really a concern?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
? lingual tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to healthcaremagic,

There are lingual tonsils located at the back of the tongue. Inflammation of these can cause pain at the back of the tongue. Do some salt water gargling 4 times daily for a few days.

It could also be reflux disease. Here, acid from the stomach refluxes into the food pipe and the throat and cause pain and burning in the throat. It can be treated with antacids and prokinetics.

Please see your doctor again to come to a diagnosis.

Do not blow your nose very vigorously , small blood vessels in the nose will rupture resulting in bleeding. you can also instil saline nose drops , 20drops 3 times a day for 6 days.

I do not think anything serious is going on with you or else your doctor would have found something in endoscopy. So, do not worry.

regards,

Dr Rajkishori Godhi MS ENT
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 48 minutes later
Thanks for your reply, So it has nothing to do with my wisdom teeth, as i was planning to get rid of them thinking the pain is because of wisdom tooth.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not wisdom teeth

Detailed Answer:

I do not believe that pain in the back of your tongue is due to wisdom teeth. Pain from 3rd molar will be in your jaw.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi MS ENT
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 15 hours later
ok, but blood in mucus is a symptom of lingual tonsillitis ?The pain at the back of my tongue is recurring,Sometimes i feel as if nothing is there and the next day i feel it again,i have seen that eating spices make it worst.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
pain in back of tongue is lingual tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:

You may do well with a course of antibiotics. Please talk to your doctor about it.

Please do warm salt water gargling 4 times daily . It will help soothe the back of the tongue.

Blood in mucus is seen if you try to clear your throat very vigorously. Do not clear your throat. It will get better.

REgards,
Dr Rajkishori Godhi MS ENT
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 days later
Thanks a lott!!!
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
welcome

Detailed Answer:
welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist