Suggest treatment for learning and emotional disabilities while having hypothyroidism

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, I was born with an underdeveloped thyroid gland and have had learning disabilities while in school and now am having an emotional problem that I don't understand why I am having it. Can your thyroid cause certain mental problems, I mean I'm not dumb just a little slow at learning things and have trouble remembering things. The problem I'm having now may be either from my thyroid or just an emotional one because of losing my father when I was about 20 months old and don't know how to handle it. I just need to know if my thyroid could be the cause of the problem . My physician has just done blood work and I have to go back to see him for a follow up visit but I was just hoping maybe you could give me some help on this before I see him. Thank you for any information you can help me with.

I have tried to see what the dr. has said but I don't see any answers. This is so important to me. Thank you.

I can't wait forever for an answer I have to go for now please send my answer to this email address: YYYY@YYYY . Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Uncontrolled hypothyroidism

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted your question. Sorry to hear about the problems you are going through. Thyroid issues indeed can cause mental and developmental problems based on the time of onset of hypothyroidism. If you have had thyroid problems while in mother's womb or during early childhood, it's possible to develop certain learning issues. If you develop hypothyroidism later in life and if it is inadequately controlled, it can cause memory issues, reduced cognition etc. Mood changes are also possible with Uncontrolled hypothyroidism. However, most of these problems can be resolved by adequate thyroid hormone replacement. It is also worth to do a vitamin B 12 level if such problems persists even after correcting thyroid disease adequately.
Regards.
Binu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Thank you for answering my question. It helps me to know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best wishes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your reply. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 14 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I had heard these things before but just needed to refresh my memory. I hope my doctor can help me with everything that is going on right now. I will find out tomorrow what my lab results were and hopefully there will be some answers there. Thank you again for all your help. He did a TSH and a I think it was a TS4 as far as my thyroid is concerned.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lab results

Detailed Answer:
Thank you again for the reply. I am sure that your doctor will be able to help . I am happy to answer more after you have receive the new lab results tomorrow.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng