Suggest treatment for jaw pain and flu

Posted on Wed, 7 Jan 2015 in Infections
Question: I am having jaw pain 2 weeks after having a cavity fixed and an implant put in. I was finally feeling better but then got the flu. Now that area is throbbing and painful again. they have suggested antibiotics, but my stomach cannot tolerate the one they prescribe (penicillin, Clendimyacin). Is there any enteric coated antibiotics I could get?
Answered by Dr. Moumita Chakraborty,MD 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ask for other antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam,

Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

I understand your concern.I am sorry for the pain which you are going through.This pain might be due to infected oral cavity.If you are not comfortable with antibiotics like penicillin or clindamycin,you can ask for antibiotics of other group like macrolides,cephalosporins etc.

Talk to your doctor regarding the adverse effects,then he will suggest you the best suited antibiotic.

Hope this helps.Feel free to ask more.
Dr.Moumita XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Moumita Chakraborty,MD 22 minutes later
so how can I take one of those without stomach damage (food does not help)
Brief Answer:
it doesn't damage your stomach

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for writing back!

Antibiotics generally do not damage stomach or intestines. Vomiting, nausea and diarrhea can be small side effects in few patients. Some antibiotics do not cause any such side effects at all. If you need to take antibiotics for a longer duration which might kill good bacteria's in intestine, you can always replace them by taking probiotics.

Hope I answered your query. If you have no further clarifications please rate this answer and close this discussion.
Get well soon!
Dr. Moumita Chakraborty
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Moumita Chakraborty,MD