question-icon

Suggest remedies for lower right jaw pain

Posted on Tue, 28 Nov 2017
Question: 32 - male

I had a slight lower right jaw pain (2/10) and was kinda massaging/scratching my face. I noticed a mole had gotten enflamed. I believe I have always had this mole but it is on the outer edges of my beard so I am not 100% sure. Anyway I was scratching and got concerned. So I trimmed a little hair off and took some pictures.

My wife took a look and saw two hairs stuck in it and assumed it was ingrown hair. She took a clean needle (alcohol) and removed the trapped hairs and then cleaned it up and bandaged it.

I am attaching pictures of the before/after. Don't mind the redness that is from my scratching and trimming.

Does this look like ingrown hair or does it show any signs of skin cancer?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (58 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Ingrown hair. Use a triple antibiotic ointment

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and viewed the images.
Perhaps it was an ingrown hair. Right now it looks like an inflammed eczematous patch of skin. Doesn't look like a cancer to me.
To begin with scratching/ massaging might be the underlying cause if it happened after that and specially on the area which you were fiddling with.
I request you to use a triple antibiotic ointment e.g Neosporin ointment, twice daily for a few days and hopefully it would be fine.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist