Suggest treatment for itchy sores on penis and bumps on forehead under hairline

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have 3 or 4 small itchy sores on my penis/scrotum and 3 or 4 itchy bumps on my forehead under my hairline. I'm worried I may have scabies or an std and I'm not really sure what course of action to take.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum contagiosum/scabies/candidial

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome to Healthcaremagic.com.
I have read your query.
I understand your concern.
As per details, these are the most common causes for red bumps on penis / scrotum
1) Candidial Balanoposthitis : it is fungal infection of skin involving the glans and shaft of penis. It is characterised by red colored itchy rash over area. Red bumps may also be seen over the glans. The rash is limited to genitals only. So in such case, bumps on forehead may be unrelated.
2) Scabies- it is characterised by nodules or large bumps over scotum and penis associated with itch . Itch is excessive and is more in night time. The itchy lesions may be seen all over the body except face in most of the cases.
3) Molluscum contagiosum : it is viral infection of skin caused by Molluscum contagiosum virus. It is characterised by red or skin colored bumps on any part of body. Itch may be seen in case of inflammatory reaction is present.
This is most likely possibility as per your symptoms.
Treatment depends on the diagnosis.
You may attach images of rash of both areas.
You should visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you prescription.
You can share my opinion with him. I hope it helps.
Stay healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 36 minutes later
Which is most likely in your opinion?

And is it possible that this could be a std such as herpes?
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum contagiosum is most likely. herpes unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome back.
If we relate the two things then Molluscum contagiosum is the most likely possibility.
it can spread by skin to skin contact. Its not exactly a sexually transmitted disease. It can spread through fomites meaning substances like towel, furniture also.
Herpes is highly unlikely. It is characterized by fluid filled lesions on erythematous base associated with burning sensation or pain.
So if you could attach images I could see to it.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 9 hours later
I have attached 2 images, please let me know if this helps you identify the type of rash/infection that it may be.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks like Herpes progenitalis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome back.
I have seen the attached photographs.
On visualization of the rash, I would now like to put Herpes also as the first differential.
I could appreciate one lesion with central black colored crusting.
Get your IgG and IgM levels for HSV1 and HSV 2 to rule out Herpes progenitalis.
If you had a contact with the person carrying the infection, you may catch it via sexual contact.
Get back to me with the report.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 24 minutes later
Isn't herpes usually a cluster of small painful blisters though? These are not painful and only slightly itchy.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clinical presentation amd symptoms vary

Detailed Answer:
Presentation of a disease is not always classical and symptomatology varies from.person to person.
So to be on safer side , laboratory help is a must so that timely intervention can be started if required.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 30 minutes later
Ok, who would you recommend I see? A dermatologist?
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should see to a Dermatologist

Detailed Answer:
Yes you should consult a Dermatologist in person so that proper clinical examination can be done and he may order tests also.
Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist