question-icon

Suggest treatment for itchy scalp

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015
Question: I have had a very itchy scalp for approx 3 weeks now. The start of this coincided with my daughter having headlice, so even though I couldn't see anything in my hair, I treated it. It still remains very itchy and I have a swollen lymph node at the right lower base of my head. I also feel generally run down and have some itching all over my body.
Answered by Dr. VINAY KUMAR (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Multiple applications suggested

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome.
I am Dr V XXXXXXX a Sr Dermatologist.

I have noted your concerns and think that following measures are most likely to benefit:

1 Application of Gamma Benzene Hexachloride, an anti-lice preparation in lotion form has to be done every week for at least four consecutive weeks.It is preferable to leave the application overnight and wash off with shampoo next morning.It is indeed possible to find few or no parasites in the scalp and hairs as they frequently escape examination with naked eye.

2 For occasional itching, one might use Crotorax solution for hairs as well as other itchy areas.

3 tab Levocetirizine 5 mg a day is good to control itching.

4 The swollen lymph gland is likely to regress by itself.

Once the treatment is completed, it still might take some days before you get total relief from itching.Other symptoms seem to be a prt of this infection only.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. VINAY KUMAR

Dermatologist