Suggest treatment for irregular periods post abortion

OBGYN
Question

I had a surgical abortion 8 months ago - a decision I regret now. I was on the XXXXXXX pill for the first month after the abortion where I bled everyday so I decided to stop, since then I believe I have been having annoulvatary cycles - I no longer have PMS symptoms and now vaginal dryness.

I have been to the doctors and been told I am not ovulating properly since do you think I should give it more time to correct itself or should I be concerned for the future?

My bleeding has changed and I do believe it is still withdrawal bleeding and not a proper period.

I am worried in the future I will need help to kick start ovulation.
I also have had an ultra sound which showed no issue (PCOS) and have regular bleeding but my progesterone level was a 10 7 days prior to 'period'

Is this a problem that should sort itself out in time?
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Soumya 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No problem

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

Abortion done 8 months back would have no impact on the menses or other ovulation.

It is not a major problem but just a small hormonal alteration which is causing these.

It can be easily corrected. All you have to do is to take oral contraceptive pills ( OCP) for 3 months to regulate the periods and train hypothalamopituitary ( HPO ) axis to work in synchronization.

After 3 months of OCP you will find everything back to normal.

Let me reassure you that this has nothing to do with abortion conducted 8 months back. No need to regret it.

You are young and everything will be fine in future.

Dr. Soumya