Suggest treatment for irregular period

Dr. Gaurav Katiyar

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: hi my implanon is two months expired I've had normal periods til now I've been bleeding for three weeks after I have intercourse its not brown blood its bright red and maroon could I be pregnant or is it just the affects of the implanon
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
probably a side effect

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query.
After removal of implanon, there is irregular bleeding due to hormonal imbalance.
Even after the intercourse, if there is bleeding,whatever the colour, there is usually no chance of pregnancy. It is just an effect of removal of implanon.

But any other cause of bleeding cannot be excluded and an OBS/GYN need to be consulted for clinical examination and investigations.

Hope I have answered you. You can close the discussion and rate the answer, if you don't have further query.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar
For further queries you can contact me directly on http://bit.ly/DrGaurav
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 7 minutes later
my implanon has not been removed its still in my ARM that's why I asked about an expired implant
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Little confusion

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up.
There is little doubt which i will try to explain.
With Expired implanon, you meant to say it is expired beyond its time and can cause side effects like expired medicines do. It is not like this.

Implanon is completely inert and expired means the hormone it releases is finished and it is no longer effective.

What you are experiencing is due to effect of finished hormone.

Hope i cleared the doubt.

You can close the discussion and rate the answer, if you don't have further query.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar