Suggest treatment for irregular menstruation, yellow vaginal discharge and UTI
I should probably start by saying that I have irregular periods. Ever since my period returned in April after having my son in November, my cycle has lasted anywhere from 20 days to 50 days. I've had some random bleeding and spotting in between periods since my periods have returned. I had a Pap smear done in August and it was normal.
My last period was September 1st, and it lasted until September 7th. My husband and I had sex on September 13th and September 20th, and we did not use protection. A few days after the last time that we had sex, I started having some dark brown discharge. It was fairly heavy, but not as heavy as a period, and lasted 4-5 days. At times there was some dark red blood mixed in with the brown discharge. I also had one small gush of dark red blood into my underwear on the last day that I had this discharge. The discharge stopped earlier this week. Over the next couple of days, there were 2 times that I wiped and noticed a few small spots of bright pink on the toilet paper. For the past 2 days I've had pretty heavy yellow mucusy discharge. It covers the toilet paper when I wipe. It reminds me of what my mucus plug looked like when it fell out. It's not there constantly. If I pee 5 times in one day, the discharge is present 4 of those times. I have been feeling nauseous on and off for the past week and a half, and I've had a mild tingling sensation in my boobs on and off for the past 4 days. I took a pregnancy test last night and this morning and both were negative. Last night when I was laying in bed, I felt extremely nauseated and experienced what felt like really bad period cramps. I woke up this morning and I feel like I have some mild body aches and I'm still nauseated. I haven't seen any blood today, but I'm still having the yellow discharge.
Does this sound like it could be some sort of infection? Or possibly imbalanced hormones?
Vaginal swab and urine for culture and sensitivity required
I understand your concerns.
There are 2 issues here. First is bleeding pattern and second is Yellow discharge.
Let me explain them one by one:
1) It takes woman to set her periods to regularity almost a year. Till then such irregular episodes of bleeding are common. This is more so if you are breast feeding your child. It might take still longer.
2) Yellow discharge is likely to be due to vaginal infection which needs to be identified by high vaginal swab culture and sensitivity test. You can take medicine as per the report.
3) This untreated vaginal infection has caused urine infection ( UTI ) too. That is the reason you have such constant urge to pee. Please give urine also for culture and sensitivity test to identify the organism. You can take antibiotics as per the report.
Let me know if you need anymore help.
I'm a little confused by the response because I don't know if youre saying that the brown discharge was a sign of infection, or if it's normal since I had a baby 11 months ago?
The yellow discharge only started 2 days ago, and the cramps started last night. The nausea has been going on for 1.5 weeks. Are you saying that I could have had a UTI for a while and didn't know it? Or that the UTI may have started when the yellow discharge started 2 days ago?
As I stated in the original question, I can't get in with my doctor until next week. Do you suggest that I try to get treatment before then?
You can see doctor next week
Let me clarify you.
First vaginal infection started. Dark brown blood is part of your irregular periods which is due to recent child birth.
The Vaginal infection was there for sometime and is increasing now. This has concurrently given rise to UTI.
There is no hurry to get treated. This might subside on its own. If not you can see your doctor next week as per availability of doctor.
I hope I clarified your confusion.
Small vaginal infection increased now
Yes. If you have this volume of yellow discharge, it cannot start spontaneously. It has to be present in low level for sometime now. It has increased to such a large volume now.
Such large volume if only present since 2 days only can give rise to UTI.
Hope your concern is addressed
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Yellow vaginal discharge odor
- Thick yellow vaginal discharge
- What is the treatment for yellow vaginal discharge
- Yellow vaginal discharge in pregnancy
- Bright yellow vaginal discharge
- Yellow vaginal discharge no smell
- Watery yellow vaginal discharge
- Causes of yellow vaginal discharge
- Creamy yellow vaginal discharge
- Gloopy yellow vaginal discharge
- Suggest treatment for endometriosis
- Suggest treatment for extremely painful back and pelvis due to adenomyosis
- What causes postmenopausal bleeding, severe elbow pain and ankle swelling?
- Do Duphaston and Siphene help in getting conceived?
- What causes swollen painful pubic area post full hysterectomy?
- What causes bleeding ears and pain under lower left rib cage?
- What causes lesion on labia minora with negative STD panel test?
- Does I pill taken two years ago cause irregular periods?
- Is NuvaRing an effective reversible method of birth control?
- What causes itching around labia after menstruation?