Suggest treatment for insomnia after taking Melatonin

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Hello Doctor,
I took melatonin 5 mg for 3 months when I started having insomnia due to MDR TB drugs. its been 4 years since I left melatonin and trying to sleep on my own, but still I can't sleep without a herbal aid .Has my melatonin production stopped. Can I ever sleep without any aid , on my own.I m tired of sleeping aids.Can melatonin production be restarted . All my life I had been a heavy sleeper, I used to sleep anywhere anytime anyway . I m 30 years old female.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The melatonin level in the blood

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic

I have gone through your concern.

As a hormone, melatonin plays a role in the natural sleep-wake cycle. Its levels in the blood in a normal subject are highest at night which means that when it is dark, the organism produces more melatonin.During the day, the production of melatonin drops.

I do not think that the production of melatonin in your body is dropped.

But in some special situations, it might fluctuate, eg. in a jet lag, if you do any shift work, or if you have disturbances in your vision.

As you should note, it is not commonly seen and a serious situation.

To exclude the organic problems, it's better to do:

The melatonin level in the blood (blood test)

If it is in lower ranges of the normal persons, please consult your doctor/an endocrinologist for further management.

If it's within normal ranges, do not worry at all, try to relax, do physical activities, no alcohol/smoking(if at all do).

Best regards

Feel free to ask me again
Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks for replying. Many times 70 percent of the times I feel sleepy but can't sleep and other times I don't feel at all sleepy. What does that mean. i feel like my sleep is coming but it's not reaching my eyes. sounds weird but can this happen.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
then you'll need to consult a neurologist in person

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

No, i don't find it weird. The sleepless situation is very serious in some persons though.

I would recommend you to see the neurologist for further follow up and probably s/he should exclude organic factors of the brainstem(if any).

Let me know if any further doubts.

Dr.Jolanda