Suggest treatment for hyperthyroidism

Posted on Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: what would you recommend as a treatment for someone who has a slightly hyper thyroid caused by a nodule?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal -9 hours later
Brief Answer: Need more details Detailed Answer: Hi, welcome to our site. I am Dr Saumya Mittal. Read your query. That is a very significant question and i appreciate your problem. I will try my best to answer your query I would like to know the exact levels of your thyroid profile. That would let me know the exact status of your condition. There are few medicines for hyperthyroidism. The most specific of these is carbimazole. But the dosage of this medicine is decided by looking at the levels of the thyroid hormone reports. So I would like to know that. Besides I need to know your clinical features. What did you face, what problems did you have when you sought medical care and the tests. If you are already on some treatment, I would suggest you get a repeat test done. A new test is needed every 6 weeks till the levels stabilize. I hope this helps you. Inform the reports mentioned above so i can be of help further. Best of luck. I have given you the answer to the maximum considering the information provided. The results of the tests could further enhance my answer to you. Please do understand that some details could be extracted from a detailed history and examination. Looking forward to your return query with the details asked so that I can help you further. (If the answer has helped you, please indicate this)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 3 hours later
The thyroid levels are slightly hyper.. no medication currently... would you recommend staying on medication or surgery? I was recommended tapazole as medication
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tapazole is in the same group as carbimazole Detailed Answer: Thanks for your response. Tapazole is a medicine in the same group as carbimazole which I had suggested. And that is the prerogative of your treating doctor. The dose will have to be decided as per your symptoms, and the actual levels of the thyroid test. Looking forward to your return query if I can help you further. Best of luck Dr Saumya Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Answered by
Dr. Saumya Mittal


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 2881 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Hyperthyroidism

doctor1 MD

I am Graves Disease hyperthyroid, taking 2.5 mg. tapazole daily. For two days I ve been experiencing cold feet, chills, joint pain, nausea, and...

doctor1 MD

I was recently diagnosed with a hyperthyroid . I have noticed many of the symptoms for a long time but never really thought much of it. I have also...

doctor1 MD

i got a blood test for thyroid disease and it came up that i was pretty healthy in that aspect. on the contray i have alot of health issues that...

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor I am a hypothyroid patient which was detected very late. In my first report TSH was approx. 78 & started medicines but still having...

doctor1 MD

Hi my ferritin level is 555, I am female. I take ferrous sulfate . 2x a day. What would be the treatment, is it as easy as stopping the iron? I...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

what does it mean when you have a bp of 119/39? Pt is in ICU , age70 w/ multiple organ failure

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

143 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction