Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Is BP of 119/39 a cause for concern in a 70 year old?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1410 Questions
what does it mean when you have a bp of 119/39? Pt is in ICU , age70 w/ multiple organ failure

Fri, 11 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cardiac insufficiency

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but the difference between the systolic and diastolic blood pressures that is greater than 60 often indicates cardiac insufficiency that could range from leaky heart valves (valve regurgitation) which could be due to age related loss of elasticity to aortic artery atherosclerosis ( fatty deposits damaging the walls of the aorta ) and heart attacks ..
Another causes could be severe iron difficiency anemia or hyperthyroidism which can be checked by a CBC test and a thyroid hormonal profile including T3, T4 and TSH . I hope you find this helpful
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is BP of 119/39 a cause for concern in a 70 year old? 2 days later
Would a pacemaker help her? Also, please note, she does have a thyroid issue as she has a lump on the mid to right side of her neck. Her other health issues: on dialysis and has liver cancer and liver chirrosis.

Thank you once again!

Leona B
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only in cases of conduction blocks and MI

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, hello again .. pace maker can be helpful if the cause of her symptoms is conduction blockage problems and myocardial infarctions so whether she will benefit or not will be determined based on the definitive diagnosis of her heart condition..I hope you find this helpful ..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor