Is BP of 119/39 a cause for concern in a 70 year old?

Question
what does it mean when you have a bp of 119/39? Pt is in ICU , age70 w/ multiple organ failure

Fri, 11 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cardiac insufficiency

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but the difference between the systolic and diastolic blood pressures that is greater than 60 often indicates cardiac insufficiency that could range from leaky heart valves (valve regurgitation) which could be due to age related loss of elasticity to aortic artery atherosclerosis ( fatty deposits damaging the walls of the aorta ) and heart attacks ..
Another causes could be severe iron difficiency anemia or hyperthyroidism which can be checked by a CBC test and a thyroid hormonal profile including T3, T4 and TSH . I hope you find this helpful

Follow-up: Is BP of 119/39 a cause for concern in a 70 year old? 2 days later
Would a pacemaker help her? Also, please note, she does have a thyroid issue as she has a lump on the mid to right side of her neck. Her other health issues: on dialysis and has liver cancer and liver chirrosis.

Thank you once again!

Leona B

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only in cases of conduction blocks and MI

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, hello again .. pace maker can be helpful if the cause of her symptoms is conduction blockage problems and myocardial infarctions so whether she will benefit or not will be determined based on the definitive diagnosis of her heart condition..I hope you find this helpful ..