Suggest treatment for hoarse voice, constant cough and sore throat

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello Dr.! My symptoms are as follows: losing my voice, incessant coughing often producing phlegm (especially when lying down), and sore throat. My question is: are you able to tell from this information whether this is of viral or bacterial infection, and based on your response what advice do you offer?
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably suffering from Laryngitis(inflammation of Voice Box)

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for raising your query on health care magic.
I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.
Looking at the information given by you,you are most probably suffering from Laryngitis(inflammation of Voice Box).

The difference between viral and Bacterial infection would be as follows:
1.Bacterial laryngitis is not systemic, meaning that it only attacks one area of the body particularly the larynx (voice box) or immediate surrounding areas of the throat. Whereas viral laryngitis is systemic meaning that it causes other symptoms such as runny nose, congestion, sneezing, coughing, etc. The more "cold-like" symptoms you have, the less likely you are to have the bacterial version of laryngitis.

2.If you suffer from high grade fever(fever more than 101 degree F)/Severe throat pain leading to difficulty in swallowing,Phlegm containing pus),then you are probably suffering from Bacterial infection.

You may find relief by taking the following medications:

Antibiotic like Azithromycin(if you symptoms suggestive more of a bacterial infection),
Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen,
Antacid like Rantac,
Antihistaminic like Cetrizine,
Mucolytic like Ambroxol.

Also follow the below mentioned home measures:
Steam inhalation.
Avoid cold,spicy oily food.
Drink lots of warm fluids.
Avoid dust.
Voice rest is a must.Speak only if it is necessary.And while speaking,take a deep breath and speak in a soft manner.Neither shout or whisper.
Reducing caffeine and alcohol intake
Stopping smoking
Limiting throat clearing.

Hope this answers your question.Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hoarse voice, constant cough and sore throat 22 hours later
Thanks for a very helpful response, Doctor Shah. My first question was on behalf of the mother of a close friend. The friend now tells me her mom has been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, and she takes metoprolol. Two questions please: Will this coughing (which has become worse and now has entailed a total voice loss) stress her heart, in your opinion? Also, now that you know she takes metoprolol, how does this information change your advice on what she should be taking re. the bad cough and voice loss? Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the clarification of the health condition of the patient.
The following medicines can be taken along with Metoprolol .

Antacid like Rantac,
Antihistaminic like Cetrizine,
Mucolytic like Ambroxol.

For the Analgesic effect,if the pain is tolerable,then she can continue with Tylenol.

Also continue with the home measures as advised in the previous answer.

For the effect of coughing on Heart in a patient with Cardiomyopathy,a Physician Doctor(internal medicine ) would be a better person to consult.

Thanks and regards.