Suggest treatment for hives on the body

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: ok so my 3 year old woke covered in hives confirmed by Dr... but she is getting them on her lids... is that dangerous?? how long do hives last poor kid is covered in them
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hives last for 4 to 5 days

Detailed Answer:

Can understand your concerns.

Hives usually last for 4 to 5 days. If hives are present only on lids then it's not dangerous.

The important thing is that hives should decrease with time. If hives increase then we have to reconsider the diagnosis.

In my opinion, you should start some anti allergy medicines like cetrizine or hydroxyzine based syrup. The dose in children is according to weight. Meet the local doctor for needful.

I hope this will help you.
Wishing your child good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 39 minutes later
she's been getting the 5ml of benadryl today she has had her third dose.... they are still spreading slowly..... I finally pin pointed to what the allergy more than likely is... I shared a pecan butter tart lastnight before bed and she awoke with the hives... now cn u be allergic to tree nuts and not peanuts?? and can u b allergic to only one tree nut and not all??? should she now b allergy tested to all nuts??
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be possible

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

A person can be allergic to anything. So, it's not unlikely that the child has allergy to only tree nuts.

Insect bite can also present as hives.

So, if the hives increase then only we have to do blood tests like ESR and reconsider our diagnosis.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 18 minutes later
ok I will see how she's doing in the morning... I don't believe she was bit by an insect at all.... I believe it was the pecans
Brief Answer:
Keep a watch

Detailed Answer:

You should keep a watch, because if it's due to pecans then it should occur again on eating it.