Suggest treatment for hip pain while on Aleve

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Pain Management
Question: I have pain in my hips when I sleep almost none once I wake up and move around. I am taking two aleve before bed and it helps. Pain is about a 3 of 10. I walk about 3 miles a day for exercise. My GP thinks it is gout and wants me to take medication. I had a pseudo gout attack in my knee about 5 years ago and this feels nothing like that did . More of a slightly advancing achy pain than an attack
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely to be gout

Detailed Answer:
crystals solidify where they come out of solution. This would be in SMALL areas and in areas that are lower temperature. Furthermore if you KNOW you have one disease, (psuedogout) why are we looking at another one (gout).

and...there are a lot of reasons for back pain in the hips. Obviously, structures in the hip (muscle, joints, cartilage, etc) can wear with age and can just get irritated. because the hip is hard to rest completely even minor tendon, muscle aches tend to last. AND.... there can also be lumbar disk (this is the classic description for spinal stenosis ... a serious amount of lumbar disk disease)...from the disk or even tumor involvement into it. Heck you can even have a birth defect (spina bifida) only show up now. The spina bifida is surgically fixable with good results. And that is about the only one that is! still.... an MRI or at least an x ray will show the structures (ok, MRI's show the cartilage well and no other study does!).