Suggest treatment for hip pain caused by degenerative disc disease

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I was reaching for something and felt a twinge in my back. The pain ran down my lower back and buttocks. It evetually went away after aweek or so. Now I have pain on my right hip area. When I stretch upward i feel pain. Any ideas on what it could be?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Slipped disc, Degenerative spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

According to your history, it appears that you have nerve compression in the lower back possibly due to a slipped disc. The nerves which travel from the spine to the legs are getting compressed which is why it causes pain upto the legs.

Avoid bending forward and lifting weights. Apply hot water Bag to the painful areas. Take Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg and Tablet Thicolchicoside 8mg twice a day for 5 days. If you have tingling and numbness, got can also take Tablet Pregabalin 75mg with Methylcobalamine once a day. You will need to see a doctor to get this prescription.

Eat healthy. Keep well hydrated. Exercise regularly.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj