Suggest treatment for high fever in child

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi my daughter is 26 months old weighing about 25lbs. She has developed a fever of 38.5degrees c starting on Thu noon and it has since peaked at 40.5degrees c every early morning. The local pd (whom i don't trust) has reported otitis in 1 ear and prescribed Augmentine (228mg/5ml) 4.5ml (2 times daily) but her fever is still usually high around 39.5degrees c when the meds are wearing off. We are travelling and the docs here are very laid back (did not check her nose or temperature during consultation)

For fever control, i have been giving paraceptomol (250mg/5ml) 3.5ml every 6 hourly minimum and alternating with Ibuprofen (100mg/5ml) 5ml. The same meds are usually given between 8-10hrs apart based on this alternating regime and the intervals between the different meds are at least 4 hours apart. Today is Sunday and her fever is still around 39.3degrees c. She is not actively coughing (lungs are supposedly clear according to pd) but she breathes very noisily at night with a lot of gurgling sound in her nose. Should i start giving her Ambroxol Hydrochloride to ease the congestion or should i give the antihistamine? she is not having nasal watery discharge or coughing phlegm. Is it normal for a viral fever to last 3-4 days at such temperature?

Thanks heaps!
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral fever will last for atleast one week

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

I have gone through your daughters history and understand your concern.

The temperature of 39.5°C is a very high temperature, immediately take off all the cloths and give her tepid sponging, this will regulates the body temperature.

The symptoms are probably of viral origin, because in viral infections there will be very high temperatures which should subside with paracetamol syrup in few days.

Your doctor has prescribed proper medicines for the condition. Syp Augmentine is an excellent antibiotics against the respiratory infection, continue this medicine for atleast 5 days to prevent secondary bacterial infection.

As she is producing gurgling sound during sleep which suggest that she is having postnasal drip for which you can antihistamine syrup which will improves the condition.

If the fever is not subsiding even after all these I would suggest you to take her to the doctor, because she may requires treatment at the hospital.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 16 minutes later
I have given her a dose of ambroxol hydrochloride 2.5ml. Should i continue with this or should i change to antamine?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query,

Give antihistamine syrup 2.5 ml, twice daily it will help to reduce the symptoms of post nasal drip. As the chest is clear I don't think ambroxol hydrochloride is so useful.

If there is cough and difficulty in breathing you can give syrup ambroxol hydrochloride.

Thank you