Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for high BP

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 492 Questions
Suffering from high BP.
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Few more details and suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.

I can understand your concern.

I would like to know few more details.
Since when are you taking medication?
Are you checking your blood pressure(BP) often?If yes,what was your last record?
Do you have history of other medical illness like Diabetes?
Do you smoke? Do you consume alcohol?
May I know your weight and height?
Kindly provide these details to me.

However I would like to give some suggestions to lower the blood pressure.
If you are over weight you need reduce it.
Brisk walk for 30 minutes a day is most important.
Restrict salt(Sodium) intake.It should be less than 1500 mg in your diet.
Avoid spicy,oily food.
Eat healthy vegetables and fruits.
Avoid smoking if you smoke and restrict alcohol intake.

I would start another antihypertensive in addition to Omly H if blood pressures are high despite the life style changes. In such cases, I choose betablocker or calcium channel blocker drugs.
Discuss about these medication with your treating doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high BP 56 minutes later
Taking medicin since 15years,No regular BP checking is being. I am approaching to doctor whenever I do not feel well.
Before 5months it was 150. No other illness. Nosmoking/no alcohol.
Weight : 85kg Hight : 162cm.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reduce weight.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for providing information.

According your weight and height your BMI value is 33, it indicates Obesity(Over weight)
You need to reduce your weight by doing physical exercises and with dietary changes.
Restrict salt intake.
Eat healthy food.
Brisk walk for 30 minutes and some physical exercises are most important.

Once you start changes in your life style then I would suggest you check you Blood pressure continuously for 5 days at your local hospital to know fluctuations in BP. If you have high BP for five days then you need to switch over to one more anti hypertensive medication as I mentioned earlier.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you. If you do not have any queries you can close the discussion and rate the answer if possible.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor