Suggest ways to control hypertension
life style modification and low dose anti hypertensive
Firstly thanks for selecting health care magic to ask your query !
Blood pressure has been classified into five catagories according to JACC.
Normal blood pressure < 120/80
prehypertensive stage is 120-139/80-89
grade 1 (mild ) is 140-159/90-99
grade 2 (moderate ) is 160-179/100-109
above that is severe hypertension.
As age progresses the blood vessels loses their elasticity due to age related changes and atherosclerosis(fat deposition ) ,hence blood pressure increases with age and its natural .
At a age more then 45 years in male our target blood pressure is 140/90.
Less then 120/80 is said normal in a young adult but in older person the target b.p is less then 140/90.So in your case our target is to achieve a blood pressure less then 140/90mm of hg.
As per the guidelines of JACC ,your maximum blood pressure reading 160 systolic falls in grade 1 systolic , and 105 diastolic comes under moderate (grade 2) hypertension.
I would like to advice you;
A) Life style modification for 3 months atleast.
Do 45 minutes of strenous exercise atleast 6 days a week ,just walking will not help ,if you walk ;walk should be brisk at a speed of atleast 5.1km/hr.
Use salt restricted diet 1500mg of sodium per day.
If you are a smoker give up smoking
Moderate alcohol is ok i.e 50ml twice a week.
Add lots of fibre to your diet.
Avoid oily and fatty food,don't take butter ,peanut oil instead eat oats ,and use rice XXXXXXX oil or olive oil.
Avoid red meat and egg yolk.
Try this for at least three months to obserre a change .
B) You should start taking a anti hypertensive medication like calcium channel blocker (Amlodipine) or AT1 antagonist like ( Losartan or Olmesartan) ,the initial doses should be decided by your cardiologist and as your body would start responding to medicines ; their doses will be tapered down or increased as per your blood pressure response.
A low dose of anti hypertensive medicine plus life style modification should be followed for at least 3 months .
2D echo- to rule out any enlargement of heart muscles due to high blood pressure(left ventricle hypertrophy).
If you have any more query feel free to ask ,i would be happy to help you!
Dr Rishu Saxena
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for hypertension with depression
- Suggest the medication for hypertension
- Suggest treatment for hypertension
- What is the best way to prevent hypertension
- Controlling high blood pressure hypertension
- Suggest medication for portal hypertension
- Suggest an alternative to benazepril for hypertension
- What treatment is suggested for hypertension
- Hypertension and other risk factorsplease suggest
- Suggest medication for diabetes and hypertension
- Suggest treatment for severe gastritis post coronary angioplasty
- What causes persistent chest discomfort and heart palpitations?
- What causes sudden onset of heaviness in the left side of the chest?
- What causes persistent high blood pressure when diagnosed with atrial...
- What causes high blood pressure while treating polymyalgia rheumatica?
- Does BP medication cause diarrhea and constipation?
- What causes pneumonia while having chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?
- What does this echocardiogram report indicate?
- What causes frequent episodes of extreme breathlessness?
- What causes pain in the chest upon exertion?