Suggest treatment for heaviness in abdomen and nausea

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello Doctor,
I am having problem with my stomach since almost 2 weeks now. let me start from the beginning. Couple of weeks back during late night i had very heavy dinner along with beer ( alcohol ) and after sometime I started feeling heavy and nausea so I started throwing up but it went again n again until morning 6 am by then I already vomited more than 7 to 8 times I was all dehydrated I believe. Then I consumed some ORS for dehydration and took rest all day had light food. Now since then my stomach is bloated and having fullness feeling. Stomach looks swollen whatever m eating is getting digested easily and stool is also passing normally. i dont think its gastric problem or constipation. Its just bloated feeling so m little worried about problem is it something u think is serious or what medication I should take or precaution.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
need further investigations as well as clinical evaluation..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Well from your description, it seems all those problems started after that excessive vomiting episodes only..Good that you've consumed ORS immediately..

Now food getting digested easily and motion passing normally - these are indicating normal bowel activity, so not to worry about them..

Yes, the bloating problem can be a part of secondary damage done internally to the gastro-esophageal mucosal region, the swelling is definitely concerning..I'd suggest you to get it checked out by any Gastroenterologis t/ GI Surgeon in your locality..

No it's not a typical finding of gastric problems (your right), however secondary acid-peptic disease can definitely complicate this...

So I'd advice you to start Cap PANTOPRAZOLE/DOMPERIDONE (40/30)mg - (PAN-D) Twice daily on empty stomach, ~ 20 min before breakfast and dinner for next 1 week then reduce it to once daily for another 1 week and observe how you stay..

Eat simple home cooked meals, ensure good hydration by drinking a lot of water.. Do Not drink alcohol, till fully cleared..

Meanwhile please get yourself checked out clinically for a thorough clinical examination by the gastroenterologist/ GI surgeon for the swelling and a few relevant investigation (CBC, LFT, amylase, lipsae, BUN/Cr and/ USG of the abdomen)..

Let me know how stay in the due course..

Let me know if there's any further queries, i'll be glad to clarify..

Take Care
Kind Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee