Suggest treatment for symptoms of postcholecystectomy syndrome

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Cancer
Question: Why is it I have so many stomach problems but yet nobody can give me some sort of reason why I suffer with so many things. I had my gallbladder removed in 2015 and the last few months I am getting the same pain like I had before my gallbladder was removed and I had pre cancer cells removed in 2015 and I'm also suffering with periods every 2 weeks and spotting between that, I'm always so tired and my mother has sleep aponea and she keeps telling me that she knows I have the same problem as I snore so bad. Could someone please give me some advice that might be helpful to me
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be postcholecystectomy syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If you sleep poorly due to apnea, that can make you feel poorly overall but it will not give you the kind of pain that you had with your gall bladder. There are now home sleep study tests available that you can take in the comfort of your own bed and then mail in to be read. At least I know that is available in the US. I don't know what country you are writing from as this is an international site.

Regarding having the same digestive problems or abdominal pain that you had when you had your gall bladder out 2 years ago, this can happen in a subset of people who had a cholecystectomy. It can be due to a number of different things including irritation of the stomach from the bile, or colicky abdominal pain. It is even possible to reform stones in those ducts that remain. The pancreas and duct from it that empties into the same place in the small intestines as the duct that drains bile from the liver can also be a problem.

For postcholecystectomy syndrome, usually we start with a history and physical, and blood tests: CBC, liver enzymes, amylase, lipase; and an abdominal ultrasound.

Because the pain and symptoms can be due to various causes, not just one, treatment depends on the specific cause.

I am including here a link to a medical article that discusses the various causes and treatments in more detail. If you would like to see it, please copy and paste it into your search bar as it won't "link" when you click on it.

Here it is: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/192761-overview

I'm sorry you are still having trouble and I hope you are able to get this evaluated soon. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.