Suggest treatment for headache with nasal pain and congestion

Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a head cold, with lots of flem and nasal discharge, and some nasal pain. I'm currently in New Zealand on holiday. Before I left home, I took with me, a package of Desloradine (5 mg) tablets, as I do deal with grass and plant allergies and thought I should be prepared. I'm certain my problem is not allergy related, but note that the Desloradine has decongestant properties. Can I use it for relief from my head cold?
Would love to hear your response. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can take Descloradine with paracetamol, you have self limiting viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi, XXXXXXX XXXX,
Thanks for posting query.
It seems that you might be having viral infection and it is self limited.
Only requirement in this case is to have symptomatic relief from congestion, headache and for this you can take Descloradine 5 mg for 2-3 days.

You can take paracetamol for headache or body ache.
This will give you relief from your symptoms.
Avoid exertion.
Avoid cold drinks, fried and junk food.
I hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
Wishing you speedy recovery.
Dr. Ramesh Vachharajani, MBBS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina