Suggest treatment for hard itchy lump on the thighs

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a large hard lump at least the size of a walnut on my private part. I do not know the name of this personal area. Its inner thigh, but not thigh. Actually I will use the term outer lip. It looks bruised and started itching. I have felt feverish for a few days. This lump has been there about two months and is getting larger. It also aches at times. It does not have a head on it like a pimple. I just stuck a straight pin in it and got out some bloody sticky fluid, then I started to feel sick so I stopped. What is this thing?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some information:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Without seeing it, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like an access on the vulva. These can sometimes resolve with sitz baths and hot wet compresses several times a day, but I am very concerned because it has been there for 2 months and now you are having fevers. It is possible for the infection to spread and cause bacteremia which can give fevers.

You should go in to be seen please. A doctor will incise the lump (if it appears to be an abcess) and allow it to drain. He/she may pack it with special antibiotic gauze to prevent reinfection if it is a large space after it is drained. You may need an antibiotic too.

So, I wouldn't wait further. Go in to an urgent care clinic or ER now because of the fevers.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 19 minutes later
I did some research. Could it be a Bartholin cyst? I will probably go to urgent care in the morning . I do feel bad!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information:

Detailed Answer:
Barthloin duct cysts are in between the labia, and if I read your description right, your lump is on the side of the vulva next to the thigh. If my assumption is wrong, it could be a Bartholin's cyst. Here is a link to an article that has a drawing of the location of Bartholin's ducts. If you open the link and scroll down, you will see a drawing: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0701/p135.html

If you feel sicker - light headed, nausea, chills, more feverish, please do not wait. You should then go directly to the ER.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
Ok, I will go first thing in the morning. Thank you very much for your helpful information. The Tylenol is working for now but I will not ignore your suggestion about going to the ER or urgent care. Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have a good night.

Detailed Answer:
Ok - I hope you have a good night.