Suggest treatment for hair fall and frequent cold

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Hair Loss
Question: Hi I am forwarding my previous question and reply I got back. Need some help identifying the right medicine.

Here is my question below:

I am having heavy hair fall and very frequent colds from almost a year. Need to find the cause for it. Have consulted many doctors but no use. Please help.
Asked by Me , Tue, 15 Jul 2014
Doctor's reply to your question above...
Brief Answer:
Hair fall treatment

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are having severe hair fall from 1 year.

You have also mentioned that you have tried ayurvedic and homeopathic medications.

Severe hair loss over few months is called telogen effluvium.

It is a hair loss pattern usually triggered by a physical illness (like viral fever, typhoid fever, hepatitis, etc), stress, crash dieting, weight loss, child birth and surgery which you would have about 3 - 6 months prior to onset of hair fall.
It could also be due to underlying anaemia and thyroid abnormalities.

I would suggest you the following-

1. Please check your blood for Hemoglobin, Serum ferritin levels and thyroid status ( T3, T4, TSH). If you have any underlying anaemia or thyroid abnormalities, they could be the cause for severe hair loss and have to be addressed by a physician.

2. You could take a supplement containing biotin 5 mg, L- cysteine and L- Methionine once a day. This will help to strengthen your hair roots. You can take this for 3-4 months.

3. Have a well balanced, nutritious diet rich in protein. Include eggs and pulses in your diet. Biotin rich foods include carrots, almonds, walnut, cucumber, cauliflower, milk and eggs. Eggs also have protein and amino acids required for hair growth.

4. Mental stress can also contribute to hair fall. Control your stress levels by yoga/ meditation and other relaxation techniques.

If the above measures do not give you satisfactory results even after 3 - 4 months, you could consider applying 2 % minoxidil solution. This has to be prescribed by a dermatologist.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to assist.

Dr. XXXXXXX Chacko
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details of medication.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Doctor advised you Biotin you can ask at any good pharmacy BIOTIN or Biotin forte, if you will not get 5 mg you can ask 10 mg. You can ask L cystein and L methionine supplements, these are generic names, it available as 500 mg dose. You can get it separately.
2% minoxidil is available as MINTOP (Dr Reddy's). You can get it at any medical store.
If you wants to know about any specific medication feel free to ask me.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 24 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

I used to have folinine (prescribed by gynecologist) when I was carrying and after child-birth, as soon as I stopped my hair started falling. Its continuing from almost 2-3 years. Can I continue folinine tablets even now? Is there any hazard taking folinine on the long run?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can use for one month.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank for your information.
Yes, you can use folinine for one month. There is no major hazards.

Along with you have to eat healthy food.
If you have dandruff you should use anti dandruff shampoo.

If you have nay queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 6 minutes later
Doctor,

If I take folinine for one month, what is the daily dosage ?
It generally takes 2-3 months to get any progress on hair growth, right? Is it enough for a month?

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take with out side effects.

Detailed Answer:
HI,
Sorry for delayed response.

You need to take one tab once a day.
If your hair fall stops after one month you can discontinue it.
Yes, you can continue for 2-3 months if you will not develop any side effects like nausea, abdominal discomfort hence I advised you to for one month if you feel better then continue for 3 months ok.
Thank you.