Owl Image

Suggest treatment for frequent headaches

Owl Image
Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Question
Having half headace frequently since last few days.
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation

Detailed Answer:

Half headaches frequently suggests Migraine. But this condition is diagnosed on exclusion. This means that after ruling out all other types of headaches, if no other condition is diagnosed then we consider this as Migraine.

I would like to know few more details which is going to help you better:
Do you have any trigger point before the start of the headache?
Whats the duration of the headache, frequency, areas involved?
How does it reduce?
Any other symptoms along with headache?

Please see a Neurologist who will evaluate and start the treatment accordingly.

Provide me with the details of the above questions asked to help you better.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for frequent headaches 2 days later

To answer your question, I havent observed any trigger point as such, the duration lasts for half a day or till I take a nap, earlier I never had it, very rarely but now I had if for 3 4 times in a month so I thought of consulting, I am not sure about other areas but there is some swelling sensation in the left eye. Also there is constatnt flickering of left eye nowadays. Except this no other symptoms. Flickering still continues but everything else goes away with a sleep cycle.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably Migraine

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the details.

From your details, I feel that the half headache could be due to Migraine as it reduces after going to bed.

Please see a Neurologist who will start you on medications after examination.

Follow these instructions which will help in reducing your symptoms:
1. Avoid excessive glare, work on systems, watching TV for longer time, irritable smoke or smell. As these can be trigger points for your headache.
2. Whenever you sense you are going to have headache, go to a silent dark place where you can sit silently till the headache wanes off or if possible you can go to bed.
3. You can take a cup of coffee during headache, as its found to help in reducing headaches.
4. Follow meditation or yoga regularly.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.