question-icon

Suggest treatment for food poisoning

Posted on Sat, 30 Jul 2016
Question: My 63 year old husband rather suddenly felt nauseous just now (he wasn't sure if he needed to throw up or have a bowel movement) and began sweating profusely. No difficulty breathing. After a bout of diarreha, he's feeling better now. Current blood pressure: 144/100. 125/90 Generally. Should we take any action?
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
I think it is food poisoning...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting.

I read your question carefully and I hope I can help you.

According to your husband's symptoms, I think that this condition is caused by food poisoning, that is caused by bacteria or toxins in food.

It is very important for your husband to get rehydrated by drinking a lot of water, juice and by using Oral Rehydration Solution.

Your husband should avoid:
- Fatty, acidic and spicy foods.
- Carbonated drinks.
- Alcohol and caffeine.
- Diary products.

He should take Metoclopramide 10 mg for the nauseous feeling and Loperamide 2 mg for diarrhea.

If the symptoms do not stop after 24 hours, your husband must go to the Emergency Room in order to get rehydrated.
He needs a complete blood count and a stool test, too.

Your husband should see his infectious disease specialists to confirm the diagnosis and the treatment.

Ask me for anything unclear.

All the best.
Dr. Behar Greca
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Behar Greca