Suggest treatment for fibromyalgia

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am thinking i might have fybromyalgia. I've had three serious car accidents when I was younger. I have DDD of c5_c6. I'm tired all the time. I work(own a cleaning business). I have to nap during the day and can't sleep at night. My lower hips hurt constantly at night and I wake up with numbness and pain in my hands. My feet always feel hot at night. I already take gabaphentin, baclofen when muscle spasms flare up bad, 5/ 325 percoset only 1 in the morning, and effexor for depression and zolpiderm to try to help me sleep. It doesn't help. It seems as if I'm already being treated for fybromyalgia even without the formal diagnosis. Loud noise drives me nuts. Is there any other treatment or hope for me to improve my life. My pain is constant and in afraid to take anymore medication-.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pregabalin or duloxetine would work better.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I agree that your symptoms are most likely due to fibromyalgia. Gabapentin is good, however, pregabalin (lyrica) or duloxetine (cymbalta) are more effective in this condition. So, I would suggest that you start one of these two medicines.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in