Suggest treatment for recurrent hiccups

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: In the morning I take approximately 20 pills..more often than not I get a bad case of the hiccups. This morning I could not get rid of them and ended up throwing up water, mucus and my pills...This has happened on more than one occasion but this morning was the worst ever.Is this the sign of something more serious like a hernia?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take baclofen 10 mg and see if it responds to it.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query,
Have seen your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Recurrent hiccups could be suggestive of herniation in any part of esophagus.
Initially you can try taking Baclofen 10 mg once daily(Whenever you feel like having recurrent hiccups).
However in case if problem still persist then an endoscopy can be done.
Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad