Suggest treatment for fever, joint pain, weakness, headache and dizziness

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My 6 1/2 yo daughter has a fever of 102, it was 101.8 last night. She has also had symptoms of joint pain, weakness, headache, dizziness, mood changes, and malaise. My husband reluctantly kept her home from school today and took her to doctor. She had no fever (99) at the time and seemed her normal self. The doctor did an overall body check to r/o lyme disease. I was also concerned about meningitis (she has never complained of severe headaches/neck pain/dizziness until now) Doctor reassured my husband that meningitis was unlikely. I am a pharmacist, trying not to see the zebra in the room. Is it just viral infection? Lungs clear, nose clear, ears clear, throat clear.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To me it appears to be viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

With all these generalised symptoms and fever of high grade which is showing a falling trend in the absence of any localising symptoms like burning micturition,cough/cold,loose motion my first provisional diagnosis will be a viral infection.

Many of the viral illnesses don't have any specific symptoms during initial 48-72 hours and then they may cause flu like or other symptoms like rash or loose stools.

As she has been examined thoroughly and no abnormality was detected like liver/spleen enlargement,any joint swelling or signs of meningitis like neck rigidity, I won't get overly worried and this again goes in favor of viral infection.

Another suggestive feature of viral infection is falling trend of fever.In viral fever temperature shows a downhill course after 48-72 hours unlike in bacterial infection.

Chances of meningitis is very less likely as there is no retro orbital pain or vomiting and she has passed the clinical examination.

Even if you are anxious get a hemogram with serum C reactive protein and serum Procalcitonin level done as with the help of these we would be better able to differentiate between viral and bacterial infection.

Continue giving antipyratic with plenty of fluids.Be watchful for appearance of any new symptoms.

I shall be glad to answer if you have any more doubts.
Wish your child speedy recovery.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology