Suggest treatment for fever and cough in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello
My daughter is 6 years old
She is suffering from stomach ache with headache and fever along with cough and cold

Is zofix 0 correct drug to treat her .
Today she has severe loose motion with frequent stomach cramps

Mainy which antibiotic is correct to give her
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Incidentally, most often such presentations are due to viral infections and antibiotics are useless in viral infections. Zofix-O contains Cefixime and Ofloxacin, both of which are antibiotics. Unless blood counts have been done and the WBC count is found to be raised I would not recommend treating with Zofix-O or any other antibiotics. Irrespective of treatment it will take 5-7 days for recovery to occur.

Whether you still want to give antibiotics, the choice is yours.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Is zofix o relavant to same kind of viral infection...
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
No, Zofix-O is not relevant in any viral infection.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 minutes later
Which medicine shud i start as we are travelling out...she is so disturbed due to motions and stomach cramps and pain maily
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to be patient.

Detailed Answer:
The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution) which is very essential for replenishment of salt and water lost. Give her Nexpro Junior XXXXXXX 1 such before breakfast. Give Syr. Zinconia 10 ml once daily for next 10 days. Give Econorm XXXXXXX 1 such twice daily

You can wait. It should get well soon.