Suggest treatment for fatty liver, persistent cough and unintentional weight loss

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I'm 44 and out of nowhere my periods stopped 6 months ago. My hormone levels showed way above menopause levels. I just had a CT can that showed I have a fatty liver even though I eat very healthy and do not drink, smoke and I'm underweight. I've also lost eight pounds in two months which is not good. I also have a cough for two months now that isn't getting better. It only happens when I'm walking or talking. No pain, just a weird feeling in my chest the makes me lose my breath and cough. Is this tied together. I'm normally very active but I now have no energy.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult physician for thorough examination.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic. I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns.

Your current complaints are not related to menopause.

Was this weight loss intended?
Since you eat healthy and do not drink, you need to look into other causes of fatty liver like, diabetes and high triglycerides. So please get them checked.
The cough does not seem to be related to fatty liver.
Your weight loss could be related to it. The cough could be due to allergies or air pollutants or due to some other lung disease. It is extremely important that you consult physician for thorough examination and investigations like chest X-ray, complete blood count etc.

I hope this is helpful.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
No, I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm thin. I don't have diabetes. My triglycerides are perfect.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:

Since you do not have any risk factors for fatty liver, it is important that you are thoroughly examined by Physician.
Genetic predisposition is the only reason I can think of.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 2 days later
I had an ultrasound a couple weeks ago that said i had fatty liver, but now the MRI shows nothing. Im underweight, dont drink or smoke.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:

I am of the opinion that the ultrasound report might've been incorrect.
Since you do not have risk factors, I feel MRI report is correct.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee