• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fatty liver disease

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I have been an alcoholic for almost 10 years. I just had an ultrasound of my abdomen and it indicated that I have fatty infiltration of the liver. I have tried AA and have been in rehab. Neither had long lasting effects. I just saw an ad for a product called NaturaClear that is supposedly acknowledged in various publications including Web MD. I also have had MS for 34 years, so I suffer from anxiety, pain, spasticity and a host of other symptoms. I know the alcohol is only providing short-term "relief", and in the long run is damaging my liver and killing brain cells. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated,
Generally, how long does it take to receive a response? Also, I want to know if trying NaturaClear would be a waste of money....
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely a waste of money.Any treatment should be tried for 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
Firstly you have not mentioned the grade of fatty liver.Mild to moderate fatty liver is a age related change and usually requires no treatment.
Natura clear is a product which increases the levels of neurotransmitters in brain hence sense of well being and happiness increases.Frankly speaking there are no large scale trials or classic literature which shows that product really works well however short term trials have shown that results of deaddiction were good.
See a doctor goes on whats there written in standard text book and there is no mention of this salt in any of the standard texts.However as product is natural you can give it a try.Web md is a paid site and has no reliability.

For your liver health i would recommend you to take Milk of thistle (Sylimarin) once daily for 3 months its a liver rejenuvator and is very effective especially in alcoholic liver diseases.It is a very potent anti oxidant and usually is considered as a boon for liver.

For you anxiety a short term therapy with Benzodiazepenes would be a much better option but you need to get a prescription of Xanax for that.
They are very effective in short terms.

A short term therapy with SSRi's can also be taken for 3 months.These drugs increases the level of Serotonin(Anti anxiety) hormone in brain by inhibiting their uptake.Therapy with Paroxetine 12.5 mg would be good for you.

For liver you can also try herbal remedy named Liv52(amazon) its a ayurvedic formulation and is very effective.

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist